Old News – Garbage

Garbage disposal has always been a problem. From this article from 1968 you can see at that time each Town had their own dump area. Those all ended up being closed for various reasons. Today we have the Mill Seat Landfill in the Town of Riga that handles all the landfill for the whole county. It took years to find that location as most towns didn’t want a large landfill area. Mill Seat was open in 1993 and probably will be filled by 2050..

The ad shows Christmas trees selling for $1.50 and up. In the mid 1960s my family sold trees at Christmas time and, if I remember right, ours were priced from $4 to $10 for a giant 15 footer.


The Honeoye Falls Times

Thursday, Dec.12, 1968

Mendon, Rush Dumps Told to Close Mar. 1 Leaving Residents, Packers in Quandary

Mendon and Rush were among four towns given orders by the Monroe County Department of Health to “cease operation of their refuse disposal areas by March 1, 1969, and within six months compact and cover the refuse with fill soil.” Under the orders, no further dumping will be permitted at any of the areas after the effective closing dates.

The other two towns are Clarkson and Hamlin. At the same time the county health department ordered the municipal refuse disposal are of the Town of Chili and a private refuse disposal area in Parma to cease operation by Dec. 6, 1968.

The Health department’s “findings” at the Mendon and Rush refuse disposal areas were listed as follows.

Town of Mendon Refuse Disposal Area in Semmel Road, Sixteen violations for open burning, unconfined dumping, failure to provide effective control for insects and vermin.

Town of Rush Refuse Disposal Area in Stoney Brook Road, Nine violations for open burning, unconfined dumping, failure to compact and cover refuse daily.

Mendon Supervisor Earl Broomfield said this week it is hard to realize what the health department wants. A month ago, he said, the Town of Mendon was commanded for a job well done. He added that there has been no burning on the dump since March 1866, that the town had a contact with a pest control company before the landfill was adopted, then was told the county would take care of it and so the town cancelled the contract.

The Mendon dump is open three days a week for residents use, and two packers have their own keys to use the area for their refuse. the town is 100 percent behind the county to establish disposal facilities and that the county has done nothing about it.

Supervisor William Zimmer of the Town of Rush said the town board of Rush would try to figure out what to do between now and March 1. the Rush dump is open only a day and a half ecah week. There is an attendant there those days, and otherwise the gate is locked and nobody can get in. He added there is no commercial dumping in the Rush disposal area

The Town of Mendon went to some expense in mid-1967 to excavate an area 350 yards by 150 yards to a depth of six to nine feet for a landfill, built a road to it, and a turning space 60 by 25 feet for cars and trucks to bring in their refuse.

The rubbish was to be dumped over a bank into the pit where it could be compacted and covered with dirt and compacted again, but it wasn’t long before people were dumping their rubbish in the turn-around area or simply throwing it over the fence.

.

Hit Songs of 1968 – #35

Stevie Wonder took the ballad “For Once in My Life” and made it his own in 1968. The song had been recorded as a slow ballad before by The Temptations, the Four Tops and Tony Bennett. Stevie’s version of the song is much more upbeat. Berry Gordy of Motown didn’t like Stevie’s version and shelved it until he was convinced to release it. Stevie would be nominated for the Grammy Award for ‘Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance, Male’ for the song.

Stevie has a long music career with his first hit song “Fingertips” being released in 1963 when he was 13. He has won 25 Grammy Awards as well as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1996. His last major tour was in 2008.

“For Once in My Life” was the top song on the Cash Box record chart for just the week of Dec. 8 – 14, 1968. On the Billboard Hot 100 chart it only got up to #2 which it held for tow weeks (Dec. 22 – Jan. 4, 1969).

Ontario Beach Park – #43

In 1932 the lighthouse at the end of the Charlotte pier was dismantled. In its place was a steel skeleton tower 50 feet tall with a 12 x 12 foot room and observation tower. There still is a lighthouse keeper that lives in the building next to the old stone lighthouse but he no longer has to walk down to the end of the pier to turn on the foghorn or light.

The number of people heading to Lake Ontario has always varied with changes in the weather. On July 17, 1932 it was hot and there was an estimated 75,000 people that went to swim or just to cool off at the beach. That was a new record. It was broken the next year on June 11th when the crowd estimate was 80,000. People arrived at the beach that day before the bath house opened and placed towels on the windows of their cars and changed in the cars.

Maybe one of the reason that so many people went to the beach was that the US was in the grip of the great depression. To relieve the depression, the federal government set up many organizations as work relief. In Nov. 1933 one of those groups was the Civil Works Administration (CWA) that would end up making a lot of changes to Ontario Beach Park. Just a month after CWA was set up, a group was dismantling the old Auditorium (later the dance hall). It is hard to see in the picture but the old Auditorium is left of center in the trees. It is a postcard view and is about the last image of the Auditorium.

In the winter of 1933-4 CWA workers were employed to keep the ice rink at the Park clean and in good condition. As the weather got better they also remodeled the building that was originally called the Casino and had been used as a cafeteria into the new dance hall. The kitchen equipment in that building was sent to Edgerton Park. The carousel building had the tower removed, was painted and horses and other animals were covered with a coat of varnish. Three picnic pavilions were built and they started building a new bandstand costing $15,000. That was a lot of improvements made in a very short time.

This will be the last installment of this series for a while. It may be spring before it is continued. If you want to see past installments, here are links to all the parts:

  1. The early days.
  2. Two hotels built in the 1870s.
  3. Railroad buys beach land and Hotel Ontario built.
  4. 1885 first rides appear.
  5. 1886 – 1888 Seasons.
  6. 1889 & 1890 Seasons.
  7. 1891 – 1893 Seasons.
  8. 1894 – 1895 Seasons. The Auditorium is built.
  9. 1896 Season. New toboggan & Ferris wheel.
  10. 1897 – 1898 Seasons.
  11. 1899 – 1900 Seasons.
  12. 1901 – Scenic Railroad added.
  13. 1902 Season and map.
  14. 1902 attractions.
  15. 1903 Season.
  16. 1904 Season.
  17. New rides in 1905.
  18. 1905 Season.
  19. 1906 Season and new ownership.
  20. 1907 new attractions.
  21. 1907 vaudeville acts and other amusements.
  22. 1908 Season.
  23. Aerial map with annotations.
  24. 1909 Season.
  25. 1910 Season.
  26. 1911 Season.
  27. 1912 Season.
  28. 1913 Season.
  29. 1914 Season.
  30. 1915 Season.
  31. 1916 Season.
  32. 1917 Season.
  33. Pictures from 1916 and 1917.
  34. 1918 Season.
  35. Orphan’s Day.
  36. 1919 Season.
  37. Amusements removed in 1920.
  38. Legal troubles; 1920 – 1926.
  39. Changes; 1921 – 1924.
  40. Hotel Ontario torn down; Casino built.
  41. New bath house; 1931.
  42. More pictures from 1931.

 

Old News – Mangione

Pardon the bad picture but most pictures from online newspapers are terrible. That is Chuck Mangione on the right who was giving a Christmas concert. From 1968 to 1972 he was director of the Eastman jazz ensemble. He would become nationally famous in 1970 when he released his album “Friends and Love.” That album was recorded as a live performance with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. It was also filmed by and shown on WXXI. Maybe someday WXXI will show that concert again.

The Courier-Journal was the weekly newspaper of the Rochester Catholic Diocese.


Courier-Journal

Friday, Dec. 6, 1968

Music to Note a Centennial By
by Margaret Connolly

Chuck Mangione is pictured rehearsing with an orchestra and chorus he will direct.

It takes all kinds of music to celebrate a century.

The Diocese of Rochester has tapped the talents of jazz notables and a nationally-known composer to signal the start of the next one hundred years.” Their work, which includes three premiere performances, makes up a large part of the Centennial Concert, titled “Sacred Music from Past to Future,” next Tuesday night in the Nazareth College Arts Center.

Chuck and Gap Mangione popularly associated with Rochester night spots, have prepared two jazz compositions of a religious nature for the concert.

Dr. Wayne Bartow of the Eastman School of Music wrote the featured work, a cantata for a small orchestra and chorus.

Chuck Mangione will direct instrumentalists and singers in the first public performance of the Gloria from his own jazz “Mass of St. Bernard’s.” His brother Gap has scored Joe Mooney’s “Act of Contrition” especially for this concert.

Mooney, a jazz singer who made his mark in the thirties, wrote the prayer setting 35 years ago, but it has never been performed publicly. “It’s the best thing I have ever heard as far as an expression of contrition is concerned,” says Capuchin Father John Frega of St. Bernard’s, a one-time jazz performer with Mooney and one of the concert organizers.

The Church can use all kinds of music. Curtain time is 8:15, Tuesday, Dec. 10.