New TV Shows of Fall 1967 – CBS


CBS had good ratings for the previous year. The 1967-68 season would also be great for them as they had 7 shows in the top 10 for the season. The number one show of that season was The Andy Griffith Show, number two was The Lucy Show; number 3 was Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., all on CBS.

The links in the titles are to Wikipedia where you can find more information on each show.

These were the new shows that aired on CBS in fall 1967 (All times Eastern Time Zone):

  • Gentle Ben; Sunday at 7:30. First it was a novel, then a movie and in fall 1967 a TV series about a boy with a pet bear. It starred Dennis Weaver and Clint Howard (Ron’s younger brother) as his son. Produced in Florida by Ian Tors, who had also produced Flipper. A moderate hit for this first season at number 19 for the season. The next year it dropped considerably and was cancelled after 58 episodes had been made. Ben was portrayed by several bears depending on what was needed in a scene. Watch the opening on YouTube.
  • The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour; Sunday at 9:00. Actually this had been a replacement series in February and it was returning for it’s first full season. The brothers got in trouble with the CBS censors over jokes about drugs, the President and the War in Vietnam. As their guest on Sept. 10th was Pete Seeger who had been banned on TV for 17 years because of being a socialist (and former communist). His performance of “Waist Deep in the Big Muddy” was a protest to the War in Vietnam and it was edited out of the broadcast. Pete was later asked back on the show and performed the song (here on YouTube). Other musical groups popular at the time were guests on the show making it the best TV show for younger viewers to see groups performing live. Tom and Dick continued to get in trouble with the censors and even though it was renewed for the next season it was abruptly cancelled in April 1969 with one episode which was never shown.
  • The Carol Burnett Show; Monday at 10:00. Carol had been on other TV shows for many years. The first shows being ones starring Gary Moore. This was a variety show that had musical guests but the prime part of the show was comedy sketches with Harvey Korman and frequent guest Tim Conway. Tim would become permanent part of the cast in the 5th season. A 17 year old Vicki Lawrence had written to Carol saying that she  looked a lot like Carol. She was given an audition and was first in sketches portraying Carol’s younger sister. Later she would become “Mama” to Carol’s character Eunice. The show would last 11 seasons and by that time their were very few variety shows left on evening TV.
    The shows have been repackaged as the half hour show Carol Burnett and Friends which is running on MeTV (Rochester channel 10-2) at 11 p.m.
  • Good Morning, World; Tuesday at 9:30. A comedy about two DJs that do a morning show. This was a starring vehicle for Ronnie Schell who had been fairly popular as one of Gomer’s friends on Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. Lackluster and very forgettable show that did have Goldie Hawn in the minor role as a neighbor.
  • He and She; Wednesday at 9:30. This situation comedy starred real married couple Paula Prentiss and Dick Benjamin. Dick was a cartoonist who had his character, Jetman, turned into a TV series. That show within the show starred Jack Cassidy as the egomaniac actor. It is said that his character served as the archetype for Ted Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moors Show. All three actors were nominated for Emmy awards. The series would win an Emmy for writing. Despite the awards, it was cancelled after a just one season. Episode number one is below.
  • Dundee and the Culhane; Wednesday at 10:00. A western about a lawyer and his apprentice. Starred the great actor John Mills. Ratings after a few episodes were dismal and it was soon canceled with just 13 episodes being made.
  • Cimarron Strip; Thursday at 7:30. A 90 minute western starring Stuart Whitman as Marshal Jim Crown. This was from producers of Gunsmoke and it was in response tothe hit show The Virginia on NBC that was also 90 minutes. It only managed to air for just one season. Watch the opening on YouTube.
  • Mannix; Saturday at 10:00. In this first season of Mannix, played by Mike Connors, he worked at a large agency with employees using computers to help solve crimes. Mannix was always working against the verdict of the computers. After the first season Mannix was working on his own with a faithful secretary. The series ended up running 8 seasons (194 episodes). Watch the opening & closing from the first season on YouTube.

Sources used in this series of articles:

  1. The Complete Encyclopedia of Television Programs; 1947-1979 (1979) by Vincent Terrace.
  2. The Complete Directory to Prime Time and Network and Cable TV Shows; 1946-Present (1995) by Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh
  3. Wikipedia

Wilkinson Scrapbook Article #34

In this article from William Wilkinson’s scrapbook “One Hundred Great and Near-Great Events, Person and Places in Rochester History” (1947) he takes an ad for a dentist from an old newspaper and adds one of his cartoons to show what it probably was like to visit a dentist at that time.

“The subscriber respectfully informs the ladies and gentlemen of Rochester and vicinity that he will be happy to wait on them in the line of his profession at his room at the Eagle Tavern or, if requested, he will call at their dwellings. He has an entire new and easy method of inserting TEETH which method has given universal satisfaction to the subjects of its operation. He will insert any number from one to a full set and in most cases make them permanent and useful as natural teet, for mastication, and attended with little or no pain. He can also stop the decay of carious teeth and make them useful again for mastication and in almost every case remedy the trouble arising from the toothache without extracting or injuring the teeth in the least. He will likewise remove the tartar and all extraneous substances and restore the teeth to their native whiteness. If those who need any repairs of teeth as above stated will call on him, he will convince them or make no charge for his services.”
E. A. Bigelow – Dentist

Kodak Center

A couple of weeks ago Kodak added a big marquee to their theater that is on Ridge Road. Previously it was known as Theater on the Ridge but now is known as Kodak Center. Besides the large marquee there is a digital sign that tells about upcoming shows that can be seen by people traveling Ridge Road.

Many years ago this theater in Kodak’s building 28 was used only for their activities. At one time there would be family movies for children and other shows for the employees.

Last year there were shows of The Beach Boys and Vicki Lawrence that weren’t able to sell out the 1,968 seat theater. The reason is that there wasn’t hardly any advertising of the shows. Now Kodak is having SMG manage the venue. They are also the company that manages Blue Cross Arena and CMAC in Canandaigua. SMG also gets to rent out the ballroom, conference rooms, classrooms, and dining rooms in the building. There also are 1,047 parking spaces just across Ridge Road.

The next big show at Kodak Center is Tim Allen on Dec. 2nd and it is almost sold out. Some of the plays coming have many available seats. Visit the Kodak Center website to see shows that are coming to the theater.

4 Theatre Programs

I added 4 theatre programs to the GenWeb website.

“The Lion in Winter” starring Walter Slezak; Auditorium Theatre; Jan. 19 – 20, 1968.
“1776” (musical) at Auditorium Theatre; April 26 – May 1, 1971.
Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker Ballet;” at Eastman Theatre; Dec. 27, 1968.
“The Merry Widow;” at Eastman Theatre; Jan.. 18, 1968.

The programs from the Auditorium Theatre are each 16 pages while the Eastman Theatre ones are just 4 pages. There is an an for RG&E on page 12 of “1776” that I thought was interesting. It tells how you get visit an information center at the Ginna Nuclear Power Station. Not sure how long that was there.

The “Nutcracker Ballet” had students from the Mercury Ballet Company in Rochester. Maybe there is someone you know.

1953 Yearbook for Columbia School

I uploaded the 1953 yearbook for Columbia School in Rochester. This school was founded in 1890. At this time it was a private girl’s school. Today they are Allendale Columbia School and are co-ed. The graduating class only had 23 seniors that year. There are large pictures of each of the young ladies and a page that has a small baby picture of each.

The yearbook has pictures of school activities but no pictures of any sports except this one of a basketball game on the right.

The are pictures of every class and all the students are named. The nursery school class and Kindergarten have some boys but none of the other classes

This yearbook is 84 pages in total and 30 pages are ads.