2 Monroe Co. Nominations for Historic Preservation

New-York-State-ParksThe New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 2 properties in Monroe County to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.

“Survival of these noteworthy places is crucial in preserving the great diversity of New York’s communities,” said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. “Placing these landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places will offer well-deserved recognition along with tools to help them last into the future.”

The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout NY state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.

Once these recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.

  • Carter-Feasel House, Henrietta – Built around 1866, the Carter-Feasel House is a rare example of plank construction in Monroe County. The residence was also home to two Civil War veterans, David Carter, who was wounded during the siege of Petersburg, and Florendin Feasel, a German immigrant who was extremely proud of his service to his adopted homeland and hosted several reunions of his regiment at the property.
  • John White House, Brockport – Built sometime after 1821 and owned by five generations of the White family, the house was enlarged to accommodate successive generation of the family and to reflect the later owner’s increased prosperity.