More news from the past. This time about the dedication of a clock and bronze tablet. The clock was renovated by the Village of Brockport in 1981
THE BROCKPORT REPUBLIC.
Thursday, June 25, 1914
IN HONOR OF OUR PATRIOTIC ANCESTORS WHO GAVE THEIR SERVICE AND LIVES IN THE WAR OF THE REVOLUTION.
Main Address Given by Hon. Geo. P. Decker. Clock Accepted for the Village by Mayor Harmon. List of Those Whose Names Appear on the Tablet.
Main street presented a gala appearance on Saturday afternoon when about 1500 persons from Brockport and vicinity attended the dedication of the town clock in the tower of the Methodist church and the unveiling of the bronze memorial tablet placed near the base of the church tower. The D. A. R. had made provision for the seating of the majority of those present, seats being reserved especially for the G. A. R. and S. A. R. who sat in a body. From a speaker’s platform draped on the national colors and built over the church steps the speeches of the afternoon were given. The Brockport band furnished a program of music before and after the ceremonies. After the invocation pronounced by Rev. L. E. Ford the program opened with the address of Mrs. George H. Adams, Regent of Monroe Chapter, D. A. R. who formally and in a very happy address presented to the village the clock and tablet. Mrs. Adams spoke of these monuments as being dedicated not only to the memory of the brave Revolutionary soldiers but also being a means of bringing before the present generation and those to come a reminder of the indomitable character both of those who fought in battle and those early settlers who made their way into this locality and cleared the land upon which the homes of Brockport now stand. She spoke of a town clock as being a most appropriate gift on account of the prominent part the town clocks of colonial days had played in the history of those times. At her signal the silk flag covering the tablet was drawn aside and then also formally presented to the village the key to the clock tower and the insurance policy upon the clock which she said she was happy to present in such perfect condition to render service to the village of Brockport.
Village President George B. Harmon with a few well chosen words in which he complimented the donors upon their patriotism and public spirit accepted the gifts in behalf of the village.
The following inscription and list of Revolutionary soldiers buried in our near-by cemeteries whose names appear upon the tablet: — “To the Honor and Glory of Our Patriotic Ancestors, the Known and the Unknown, Who Gave Their Services and Lives for their Country in the War of the American Revolution, 1775-83.
Brockport, Captain Joseph Roby, Rev. Amos Frink, Thomas Buck; Sweden, Captain Charles Treat, Captain John Griswold, Lieut. Ezekiel Elliott, Reuben Allen, Ansiem Comstock, Levi Francisci, Jonathan Fanning, Elisha Locke, Ebenezer Martin, Reuben Stickney; Clarendon, Lemuel Cook, Samuel Lewis, Augustus Sturges; Clarkson, Captain Samuel Darling, Sergeant Elijah Cook, John H. Bushnell, Joseph Kennedy, Jonathan Mead, David Smith, Eli Mead, Moody Freeman, William Pennatt; Hamlin, Peter Blossom; Kendall, Samuel Bates; Sandy Creek, Asa Clark; Spencerport, Charles Kimball; Adams Basin, Thomas King.
This clock and tablet are erected in gratitude and pride by Monroe Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, June 20, 1914.”
Dr. Alfred C. Thompson made a brief address of welcome to those present as a representative of the Brockport Chamber of Commerce saying that while his address must be brief his welcome was very long.
Mrs. Willard S. Augbury, State Regent of the D. A. R., gave an interesting address, dwelling at length upon the work being done by the many chapters of the D. A. R. in the state and the purpose of the organization, namely; to save our stories of patriotism and bravery from oblivion and to mark the historic spots of our country so that the present generation might have the brave deeds of their ancestors constantly before them. It is interesting to note here that Monroe Chapter is the first chapter in the state to have presented a town clock as a memorial. Mrs. Augsbury had attended eight dedications by different chapters within the week, but while other chapters had given handsome monuments, tablets, or in some cases drinking fountains, the Brockport town clock was the first one within her knowledge to have been presented.
Hon. R. C. Shannon as a representative of the Sons of the American Revolution gave a most entertaining and eloquent address upon the work done by that organization and highly complimented the Daughters for by no means being a second to his own organization in the energetic work they were doing.
The last speech of the afternoon was delivered by Hon. George P. Decker of Rochester and was as fine and comprehensive an address as Brockport has had the privilege of listening to in some time. Mr. Decker briefly outlined the history of this immediate locality from Revolutionary times showing that this spot was then a wilderness of forest, and that it was 18 years after the Peace of Paris before white settlers ventured here. That we therefore can connect ourselves with the Revolution only though our ancestors from the New England states or from the Hudson Valley. He rejoiced with Brockport had now given the people of this place a memorial of those times to be always before them. Mr. Decker drew comparisons between the life in those early days and now drew attention to the new standards of duty, of business, brought about by the phenomenal increase in population but based as of old, on the same principle of right and wrong, and finally, in closing he made tribute to the splendid work being done by the brotherhoods and sisterhoods of today in binding together the nation in its great interests, and preserving the heritage of the past.
After the singing of America accompanied by the band the benediction was pronounced by Rev. W. H. G. Lewis.
Preceding the exercises a luncheon to over forty-five prominent guests of the D. A. R., mostly from out of town, was served in the parlors of the church at 12:30 o’clock. The Brockport guests included the clergymen of the village and their wives. A tea to a number of the distinguished visitors was given after the ceremonies by Mrs. Fred Gordon at Whitehall.
All regretted the circumstances which made the presence of Mrs. William Cumming Story, National President General of the D. A. R. who had been expected as the guest of honor of the day impossible. The out of town visitors and members of Monroe Chapter seated on the speakers’ platform were: — Mrs. William S. Little of Rochester, Honorary State Regent, who 17 years ago organized Monroe Chapter; Mrs. W. S. Augsbury of Antwerp, State Regent; Mrs. Frederick W. Yates of Rochester, State Registrar and Genealogist; Mrs. Frank W. Dow of Rochester, Regent of Irondequoit Chapter; Mrs. Charles E. Crouse of Syracuse, Regent of Onondaga Chapter; Mrs. S. R. Cleveland of Watertown, former Regent of LeRay de Chaumont chapter; and Mrs. George H. Adams, Regent of Monroe Chapter. Mrs. Augsbury and Mrs. Adams were the recipients of handsome bouquets of sweet peas and roses the gift of Monroe Chapter after their speeches.