In this article from William Wilkinson’s scrapbook “One Hundred Great and Near-Great Events, Person and Places in Rochester History” (1947) he writes about the former Reynolds Library. All of the collection that they had ended up at the Rochester Public Library. People still go there to read the local newspaper and magazines bu more people are sitting at computers reading news online.
The Reynolds Reference Library was charted in 1884 by Mortimer F. Reynolds (1814 – 1892), one of the claimants to the title of first white child born within the village limits of Rochester. He named the library in memory of his father, Abelard Reynolds and housed it in the old Reynolds Arcade. In 1896 the library was moved to the Reynolds home on Spring Street. Upon the completion of the Rundel Memorial building, the Reynolds Reference Library, containing 90,000 volumes, was consolidated with the Rochester Public Library and given a prominent position on the main floor of the building. After the Reynolds Library was moved to Spring Street, a reading room with local and out of town newspapers continued to be maintained in the old Arcade. The writer (Mr. Wilkinson) was been a steady patron of this reading room since 1900 and is one of a few Rochesterians who can make this claim. This reading room is now housed in elegant quarters on the second floor of the present Arcade and we hope to be able to continue to enjoy its pleasant hospitality for years to come.