This is the last of the reports on cemeteries of Monroe County that have been moved. These are all Catholic cemeteries formerly in Rochester. When Holy Sepulchre Cemetery was started in 1871 the Rochester Diocese asked that these cemeteries no longer accept new burials except for families that already owned plots in the cemeteries. Thus some of these cemeteries were moving old graves to Holy Sepulchre at the same time they were adding burials to the old cemeteries.
- St. Patrick’s Cemetery. The church was founded in 1822 and they had a small graveyard next to the church. Then in 1827 they asked the City of Rochester for 60 plots in West Cemetery and they used that until 1838 when they bought 21 acres on the corner of Field and South Clinton Streets. The cemetery went all the way up to the top of Pinnacle Hill. In 1935 the remaining 4769 burials were moved to Holy Sepulchre Cem.
- St. Joseph’s Cemetery. The church first had a small cemetery that opened in 1840 on Lyell Avenue at Mt. Read Blvd. This quickly filled and in 1843 another cemetery was started where Goodman Street crosses East Main Street. The property was desired by the railroad and the burials were moved to Holy Sepulchre in 1872. Not sure when the burials on Lyell Ave. were moved.
- Ss. Peter and Paul’s Cemetery was located near 732 Maple Street. The cemetery was closed by the City of Rochester in 1876 for reasons of health. Approximately 1300 to 1500 burials were moved to Holy Sepulchre in 1898.
- St. Boniface Cemetery was located near the southwest corner of South Clinton and Highland Parkway. The cemetery was used from 1866 to 1917. The burials were moved to Holy Sepulchre in 1957.
- Holy Family Cemetery was located at 1117 Maple Street. It was used from about 1866 until at least 1915. Approx. 1400 burials moved to Holy Sepulchre in 1955 with only about 118 being identified.