Mother of Sorrows was opening their new church in 1968 (see picture). The old church on the corner of Latta and Mt Reed ended up being a branch library for many years. The last I knew, it was still sitting vacant. Being a landmark, the exterior can not be changed.
March 15, 1968
A Joyful March 17 on Paddy Hill
The “wearin’ of the green” will have even greater significance for members of Mother of Sorrows parish this Sunday. For March 17 will mark the opening of the Paddy Hill parish’s new 1000 capacity church, replacing the present landmark structure which was built in 1859.
Bishop Kearney will celebrate a special Mass at 5 p.m. honoring several Irish societies and the faithful parishioners of Mother of Sorrows parish whose sacrifices made the new edifice possible.
Father Daniel O’Rourke, pastor of the parish from 1929 until he retired in 1961, is expected to attend, according to Father George S. Wood, pastor of Mother of Sorrows.
The seven-sided brick and limestone church (for the Seven Sorrows of Out Lady) is topped with a needle-nosed stainless steel spire which dominates the Paddy Hill area of Greece. The building was designed by Robert W. Stickle of Stickle International, Cleveland, Ohio, to accommodate the latest liturgical changes.
Special features include a unique baptistry, a very practical and beautiful Mothers Chapel (for use as a Daily Mass Chapel and a crying room on Sundays), and a full social hall beneath the church for parish parties, dances, and parish meetings. A connecting Rectory was occupied late in September of last year.
“Occupying the new structure will not mean razing the old church,” emphasized Father Wood. “The venerable landmark will be preserved. The Library Board of Greece is interested in a 20-year lease of the building for use as a branch library to serve the needs of the thousands of students and adults in the northeast section of town.” The exterior will be maintained “as is,” and the interior renovated for library use as soon as possible.
Fathers Frederick Eiseman and Eugene Weis are the present assistant pastors at the Greece parish.