Marriages & Deaths 1833

I extracted all the marriages and deaths from all the Rochester newspapers for 1833. There were a few months of the Rochester Daily Advertiser that were missing for that year. That publisher also printed the Rochester Republican which was a weekly that usually had the same notices. But the whole year of the Republican is missing. Supposedly the Rochester Daily Democrat started being published in Jan. 1833. The oldest issue still in existence is for Feb. 1834. There were lesser known newspapers that may have had all the notices in the other missing newspapers.

Marriages & Deaths; Jan. 1833 – June 1833
Marriages & Deaths; July 1833 – Dec. 1833

There are three death notices for Mary Jemison who was known as the “White Woman f the Genesee.” One misspells her name. Another long article gives some biographical information but it almost completely wrong. Although Mary was originally buried on the Buffalo Creek Reservation (Erie Co.), in 1874 her remains were moved to the present Letchworth Park which was land that she used to own.

Wilkinson Scrapbook Article – #37

In this article from William Wilkinson’s scrapbook “One Hundred Great and Near-Great Events, Person and Places in Rochester History” (1947) is about the old Reynolds Arcade. The first paragraph (blue background) is on an aluminum plaque that is located in the present Arcade building. The rest is his memories of the Arcade.


“Here stood the old Arcade, Landmark of a past era. In early days when all citizens were neighbors it was a center of communication and public assembly. Here by mail and telegraph the city met the world. Under that roof for more than a hundred years men of all trades and professions earned their living. Within those walls pioneers, inventors, artists and wanderers dreamed of success and some achieved it. Many climbed those stairs; all have now descended. In peace and war, in good times and bad, the Arcade matched the quality of four generations . It was a civic forum, a home of old loyalties and new ideas. Built in 1828 by Abelard Reynolds, it was given by Mortimer F. Reynolds to the Reynolds Library as a productive endowment and replaced in 1933 by this new Arcade.”

We have added the 2 niches that contain the busts of Abelard (above the clock) and William and Mortimer.

We well remember the old Arcade. Have trudged up the stairs to the reading room on the 3rd floor many times. – past those red fire buckets that hung on the wall.

At one time there was a fountain in the center of the Arcade and there were paintings of Niagara Falls on either side og the Main St. entrance – the artist had a studio on the upper floor.