Wilkinson Scrapbook Article #40

This article from William Wilkinson’s scrapbook “One Hundred Great and Near-Great Events, Person and Places in Rochester History” (1947) he mentions a law that was passed to deal with increasing amount of human waste in the City of Rochester. This is the kind of thing that they don’t talk about in history classes in school .


Penal Ordinance — Passed November 11, 1862.

The Common Council of the City of Rochester do ordain as follows: All Owners and keepers of hotels, taverns, banking houses, factories, arcades, warehouses and establishments where more than ten persons are habitually gathered or employed, within said city, shall cause to be constructed on their respective premises one or more strong wooden boxes, slides or drawers, of suitable dimensions, provided with a convenient handle at each end with movable lids which may be fitted there to perfectly tight; and shall cause such boxes to be placed under the seats of their respective privies, as a substitute for vaults now in use; and shall cause such boxes to be carried away and emptied by licenses scavengers into places to be designated by the Mayor or board of health, and washed out perfectly clean, and again replaced at least once in each week from the first day of May to the first day of October in each year, under penalty of FIFTY DOLLARS for each offense.

Hit Songs of 1968 – #9

The First Edition had their first hit with the song “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In).” The group had only formed in 1967 with Kenny Rogers as the lead singer and bass player. The group played a mix of rock, folk and country. By the time of their next hit “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town” in 1969 the name of the group had changed to Kenny Rogers and The First Edition. The group had a string of minor hits until they finally disbanded in 1974. Kenny would go on to a great career as a single performer and more known for country music. Kenny has announced that he is retiring and he ended his tour this summer.

“Just Dropped In…” got up to the #5 position on the Billboard Hot 100 record chart for the weeks of March 10 – 23, 1968.

The video is from an appearance on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in December 1968.

Old News – Church Opening

Mother of Sorrows was opening their new church in 1968 (see picture). The old church on the corner of Latta and Mt Reed ended up being a branch library for many years. The last I knew, it was still sitting vacant. Being a landmark, the exterior can not be changed.


Courier-Journal

March 15, 1968

A Joyful March 17 on Paddy Hill

The “wearin’ of the green” will have even greater significance for members of Mother of Sorrows parish this Sunday. For March 17 will mark the opening of the Paddy Hill parish’s new 1000 capacity church, replacing the present landmark structure which was built in 1859.

Bishop Kearney will celebrate a special Mass at 5 p.m. honoring several Irish societies and the faithful parishioners of Mother of Sorrows parish whose sacrifices made the new edifice possible.

Father Daniel O’Rourke, pastor of the parish from 1929 until he retired in 1961, is expected to attend, according to Father George S. Wood, pastor of Mother of Sorrows.

The seven-sided brick and limestone church (for the Seven Sorrows of Out Lady) is topped with a needle-nosed stainless steel spire which dominates the Paddy Hill area of Greece. The building was designed by Robert W. Stickle of Stickle International, Cleveland, Ohio, to accommodate the latest liturgical changes.

Special features include a unique baptistry, a very practical and beautiful Mothers Chapel (for use as a Daily Mass Chapel and a crying room on Sundays), and a full social hall beneath the church for parish parties, dances, and parish meetings. A connecting Rectory was occupied late in September of last year.

“Occupying the new structure will not mean razing the old church,” emphasized Father Wood. “The venerable landmark will be preserved. The Library Board of Greece is interested in a 20-year lease of the building for use as a branch library to serve the needs of the thousands of students and adults in the northeast section of town.” The exterior will be maintained “as is,” and the interior renovated for library use as soon as possible.

Fathers Frederick Eiseman and Eugene Weis are the present assistant pastors at the Greece parish.